Wednesday, December 7, 2016

ISWG post


Time to share our progress and insecurities again!

I have not completely stalled while writing, but pretty close. The memoir I'm writing is the second version- the first one was scrapped at about 50,000 words. I have about 13,000 words right now, but it's just really, really hard to set aside the time to write, especially when my family is scrounging through unfolded piles of laundry for underwear and socks!

Despite where my writing is right now, this blog has been a great way for me to practice, experiment, and connect with other writers, and it's still evolving.

One thing I've been thinking of, and wondering, is how other writer's view the responsibility and impact of WHAT they write. The reason this is important to me is because my daughter was the victim of a violent crime, and the perpetrator was directly influenced by things that were written on the internet. (They were classmates) Imagine writing in the horror genre, and inventing stories of gory violence, only to find out that a crime was committed linked directly to what you wrote.

Just curious as to how you writer's out there feel about this delicate issue- because where do we draw the line between entertainment and just plain sadistic and disturbing stories?

December's ISWG question is where do we see ourselves in five years, and how do we plan to get there?

In five years, I hope to at least have a book in the process of being published. In other words, the memoir is finished and I have an agent. Maybe it will already be done! I just want to get myself out there and be established as an official writer, instead of how I feel, which is like a wannabe.



On the lighter side- my quote for the day is

"It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder


Taken from the Daily Peace by National Geographic. December's theme is simplicity- who couldn't use simplifying in their life?

14 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 13000 words...remember that every word counts.
    I'm interested to read the responses to your question about a writer's responsibility and impact, with regards to the content of the stories that we write. I don't write horror/gory violence.
    Happy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I just wish I could be more consistent, but at least I haven't given up!

      Delete
  2. I hope your plan goes well. I love memoir. I just haven't thought of writing it. Good luck. Keep us posted about your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love memoir too, but I never thought of writing it until things happened in my life that I felt compelled to get out there. At least it could bring meaning to a bad situation.

      Delete
  3. A writer is one who writes...so you're already a writer if you're working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just doesn't feel like it though. I think that's why I have a hard time justifying the time I spend on it. But I do believe I'm allowed a hobby, right?

      Delete
  4. Keep working on the memoir!
    That's probably why I write light space opera. And I don't stray into really immoral territory. I do feel what I write is a reflection of me and I wouldn't want to influence someone the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I stand where you do on this. I like action, but there is a big difference between action and really hard core horror. That's just my opinion though.

      Delete
  5. I say tell the story you want to tell. Once you release it, it isn't really yours anymore, anyway. It belongs to the readers and it's up to them what they want to do with it. So don't carry any guilt.

    Keep going on your memoir. Sometimes you have to be firm to get your writing time in. When I started dating my boyfriend, I made sure he was aware that I wrote and how important that time is to me. He respected that (still does) and I'm sure that's one of the reason's we're still together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you shared your thoughts. Even given the awful place we are in because of what happened to my daughter, I don't think I ever really blamed the author/authors of the horror stories. I blame more the parents and the school where it happened.

      Delete
  6. I can't read/watch horror/slasher type books or movies. Without being preachy, I try to set a good example with my characters with a satisfying ending. I can't imagine the pain of what your family has gone through. Congrats on the 13k words. Setting aside the other was the right decision for you. Maybe you'll come back to it. Maybe not. Best wishes on the memoir.

    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family.
    December co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I never found that genre entertaining! I appreciate your thoughts, sympathy, and encouragement. Best wishes to you too!

      Delete
  7. Time never fails to be so elusive. The fact that you've managed to write 13,000 words already despite that is impressive, IMO. Best of luck reaching the end of your memoir!

    As for the impact of writing, no writer can predict how their stories will affect others, since everyone is so radically different from each other. Like, horror is my favorite genre, but that doesn't mean I'd ever commit horrific acts myself. It just means I enjoy reading suspense, dark humor, and unhappy endings. If someone behaves immorally after reading a story, then that person is to blame, not the writer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement!

      I can see where my post came across as judgemental, but it's because of how deeply our lives have been affected. I do agree with you that the person committing the crimes is the one to blame, even if that one is a child. The horror stories only added fuel to the fire in a deeply disturbed mind, and the parents should have been the ones to correct that and to teach morals. That's where the real blame lies.

      Delete