Sunday, February 3, 2013

Books made into Movies


For some reason I can't remember, I had an urge to read a romance by the famous Nicholas Sparks. I've never read one of his books before, and I don't usually like romance, but I figured all those people must like him for something. I bought the nook version of the Lucky One and couldn't put it down, finishing it in three days. Not only was the romance slow and believable, but there was another side to the story that made it almost a thriller/action genre too. It kind of is where I'm aspiring to get my novel to.

Anyway, on the third day of reading the book and finishing it, I rushed out to rent the movie. What a disappointment! It was sooo different from the book it was barely recognizable, and while Zach Effron played the character acceptably, I couldn't stand the female lead. She was high strung and unlikable. Anyway, I finished up the movie feeling like I had wasted 1-2 hours of my time, and I hate wasting time.

As for the other movies based on his books, I'm sorry, I never liked the Notebook and Dear John left me scratching my head. (You don't need to marry someone to help them out while they're sick)

Here's the question- How do you feel about books that are made into movies? Personally, I prefer to read the book first- how about you? Any movies that completely ruined the book, or vice versa. . . made it even better? On that last question, I'm a big fan of two Jane Austen based movies, Emma and Sense and Sensibility.

Finally, I know I fell off the radar over the last few weeks, but I'm feeling great now and slowly getting back into my routine. I'll see you in the rounds and on Wednesday for the ISWG!

10 comments:

  1. So glad you're feeling better!

    Usually I can't watch movies based on books because the word world in my head is too different from the way it's depicted by others. I haven't even watched the Harry Potter movies (and won't, although I know they're well done). I just always like the word story better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! It's true, a book you can savor and experience thoroughly. Something you can't do with a movie.

      Delete
  2. Glad you're feeling better!

    Sorry the movie was a waste of time. I usually like to read the book first too. I try to leave my mind open and watch the movie as if it was a different story. That helps so I don't feel too disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's a good idea- I probably could have overcome the changes if the girl hadn't annoyed me so much, and if the chemistry had seemed more real. (Maybe I just couldn't understand why HE wasn't annoyed with her too!)

      Delete
  3. Most books to movies lose a lot, and some are just awful. (Like The Relic, based on a Preston and Child book.) LOTR was the best translation though. I thought the movies were even better than books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of Sparks' books I've read, but haven't watched any of the movie adaptations. The only movie adaptation I thoroughly enjoyed is "Gone with the Wind." Most screenwriters make too many changes, and some of the changes fundamentally undermine the original story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not really a movie person, but I wouldn't watch a movie adapted from a novel, especially if the book was one of those you couldn't put down...
    I'm glad to hear that you're on the mend Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rose. (: I agree with Michelle. In my experience, movies rarely measure up to expectations after having read the book. And am I sooo glad you are feeling better!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer to read books first for this reason. Movies never live up to expectation and they tend to only spoil the ending.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, just checking in, hope things are ok on your side of the world. (:

    ReplyDelete