Friday, April 20, 2012

I finished my novel!

I'm so excited!

I have wanted to write since I was in grade school thirty years ago, and now my dream is a reality.  Now I'm on my way to seek publication, but I've done some research and have come to the realization that saying I'm going to have a bestseller is about as delusional as saying I'm going to be the next great thing in Hollywood.  So, not to be a negative Nellie, but I am going into the next phase with realistic expectations.

My current effort is researching the next step, and I'm going to take fellow blogger, Linda Jackson's advice and sit on the manuscript for a week before I reread it.

Okay- I've just popped back in to write down a hook sentence for a query letter.  (This letter may take as long as my novel!)  Tell me what you think!  Please be honest.

Set in the jungles of the Amazon, Kate Wilson begins work as a volunteer nurse in a small clinic only to discover that the town is an agricultural source of the coca plant.

Suggestions for the web site www.agentquery.com.  It had a great format!

Plus, here's a quote for the day:

"There are three rules for writing the novel.  Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."  W. Somerset Maugham.

14 comments:

  1. Honey, I'm supposed to be on a "Blogger Break", but I'm so glad I stuck my head out of the break room door just in time to read your good news. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm celebrating this milestone for sure:)

      Delete
  2. This is SUPER SUPER news! I'm so excited for you and now you can move onto the next step! And in all honesty, I do like your hook, but I've never had to write one, so I'm no expert. Anyway, celebrate and enjoy this milestone!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like, and you don't have to be an expert, I value your opinion!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finishing your novel! What an AH-mazing accomplishment! I've seen you around on the comments of other's pages, thought I'd come say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing! Queries take forever to write. Good luck on yours. Definitely take a week or two off before you start working again. It will help clear your mind and give you time to celebrate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaaaaaay!!!!

    Honey, I'm sooooo proud of you. And Linda's advice is great. Putting down the MS is one of the HARDEST things to do... But it's amazing the clarity it gives. Also try reading it on a different format--that helps a TON. The hook is sounding good---we want the rest of the query letter! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I want to go back right now! I plan on printing it out so that when I reread it I can't make instant changes. (I do a lot of that) I'm glad you like the hook, and I will for sure run my query letter past all of you!

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the first novel! I hope you get it published. Have you started another?

    My book, 'White Lies' comes out May 7th. Things are well.

    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And thanks for joining my blog. Your book sounds very interesting- I'll definitely check it out.
      I haven't started another novel, but I've decided to try some short stories to get myself out there.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on finishing your novel!! That is one of the best feelings ever! (For a writer, anyway.) :) :)

    ReplyDelete