Monday, March 5, 2012

Journaling


So, about journaling.  Do you journal?  Because I don't, but I wish I did.  I REALLY wish I had kept a journal while I was living in Ecuador, because I've been back in the States for 15 years now and a lot of things are hard to recall.
I've tried to keep a journal many times but then just kind of lost interest, but when I've come across those entries years later I love looking back and reading them.  It's almost like being able to travel back in time and listening to yourself express your thoughts on the daily things happening in your life.  It's just that daily life can be so mundane, even living in the rainforest.  You just get up, and go about life, and in the moment it doesn't seem very special.
How do you keep your journal fresh and interesting?

10 comments:

  1. I've journaled periodically. I, too, love going back and looking at the entries and I know I'm going to forget so much of the fun/cute stuff my kids do but when I divvy up my time for the day journaling never makes the cut. Maybe I need to redefine my priorities but what would I cut? Eating? Actually spending time with my kids? Writing my novel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write my journal like I'd write a book - leave out all the crap that people think needs to be in there, and focus on ONE thing that really moved me.
    Though - I've been really sucking at it lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea, I think I'll try that.

      Delete
  3. I don't write a journal, but I have a organizer and I will often write my feelings inside. However, I do that because I forget everything and love having a record somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a great idea too! They have such awesome organizers out there, you can keep track of what was going on in your life and write little notes- brilliant! I love these ideas:)

      Delete
  4. I used to write a journal but not so much anymore. I only write them for when I go away on trips, which isn't often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because I thought journaling was just a given with writers, and I thought I was the only one who didn't! Glad to see it's not such a big deal!

      Delete
  5. I have a whole shelf full of journals from the past 9 years--I guess next February will be my tenth anniversary of journaling! I take my journal to church every week and if I get bored, I open it up and start scribbling away.

    If something is REALLY important to me and I don't want to let the memory go, or if I'm very upset and have to write with my hands in order to deal with the emotion of it all, then I'll shelve everything else I'm doing and just write. Most entries these days are only a page or so long but I'm glad I write them!

    I'm putting you on my blogroll--found you through the campaign. I'm Allie. Good to meet you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Allie, welcome to my blog! I'm trying to get back into journaling again. That's awesome you've been so diligent with it over the years:)

      Delete