Friday, February 4, 2011

Mermaids and Mexican Rice

What a way to combine things hey!  But that's what I've been up to.  I've been reading this great book called "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson and there was a line describing what it's like backpacking the Appalachian Trail, but I thought it kind of fit with how I go through life.  It said, "you exist in a kind of mobile Zen mode, your brain like a balloon tethered with string, accompanying but not actually part of the body below."  I think that after being mostly at home with small children for the past ten years, I carry out the home tasks automatically but my mind is often far away :)

So, first the mermaid thing-  We saw this mermaid painting in a shop in Beaufort, S.C. and my daughter went nuts over it, but it cost $150.  I looked it over and told her I thought I could do it myself, so here's my first attempt.  I haven't painted since high school, and it's far from perfect, but with some more coats of paint it might do!


It's not finished, but this is the start-  what do you think?  Especially you artists out there, any suggestions?  It is in acrylic and the total cost of supplies was $30, so it wasn't the best quality-  Well, my 10 year old loves it and that's what counts right?

Next, onto Mexican Rice-  we all love it right?  Well, after some lessons from my Mexican friends, here's how to make it yourself:

Take the amount of rice you wish to cook,  (I use a rice cooker but just follow the measurements from the package if you don't have one)
Add 2 Tbsp canola oil to frying pan over med. heat and toast uncooked rice until golden brown.
You must stir constantly to keep it from burning, about 5 minutes.  Add to rice cooker or pot and set aside.

The base to a lot of Hispanic dishes is something the Mexicans call Sofrito, which varies slightly from cook to cook, but you use it in the rice too.

You need:
1 onion
garlic
1 tomato
canola oil

Sautee the coarsely chopped onion until soft, add minced garlic, cook 2 minutes more.  Add tomatoes, chopped into chunks (I do seeds and all).  While cooking I add Goya brand Adobo seasoning and salt.  After 4-5 minutes more, throw all of it into blender, add a little water if necessary and blend.

For the water to cook the rice in, use the measurements given but substitute chicken broth for the water with the sofrito you just made as part of the liquid.  For example, if two cups of water is required, use 1 1/2 cups chicken broth with 1/2 cup sofrito.  Then add one packet of SazonGoya seasoning, (Con culantro y achiote).  It's found in a small box in the Mexican food section of any grocery store.  Goya is the brand and the seasoning is spelled in Spanish.

You can also add frozen veggies like the peas and carrots prior to cooking.  Hope this makes sense!  But it's really good.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Hey honey, thanks for commenting :) I didn't know much about agave either until this recent trip it's a wonderful plant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome snailentina, and thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely rice recipe!

    Thanks for visiting my blog and for the kind comment!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome, thanks for stopping by here too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANKS for posting the mexican rice recipe. My husband is Hispanic from the USA and he cooks the BEST tacos and enchiladas and all....but the "mexican rice" is the boxed stuff off the shelf and I can't stand "instant foods"...I will have to give him this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cartoon characters- You're welcome for the recipe. It's really not so difficult; I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete